Sunday 18 December 2011

Knit happens!!

I'm still struggling with this blog thing....I find it harder and harder to come up with something interesting really....bit like yesterday.  I was trying to finalise the last of my hat collection for the Southern Hemisphere Winter....I knew I had to add in another hat as I'd taken a few out .... just for a rest and sometimes I do really tire of knitting the same hat over and over and over again!!

I knew it had to be another earflap hat and as I mentioned in a previous post I really struggle with the design element of knitting....I like the practical but that's about as far as it goes.

I had decided on the perfect hat....full garter stitch earflap hat all in one colour and with a contrasting pom pom....I set off down to the Wool Baa yesterday....the place where I go to concentrate and to get away from the computer and the phone and I sit down at the tables and knit and design and ask the wonderful ladies there, Joanne, Sarah, Ainslee and Leonie what they really think...and they tell me!!....and I take inspiration from being surrounded by 1000's of balls of colourful yarn around me.

Anyway here is the hat I got started and then.....
























I just ended up with this mass of blue garter stitch knitting that just looked awful....a big blue blob of nothing really.....it got unravelled and unfortunately I didn't have a phone or camera to take a photo of it...anyway I was too embarrassed....it was a shocker!!

I had two further balls of colour in my bag, a burnt orange and a coral.....I pulled them out of my bag and I knew they would always look stunning with the blue and I previously used to knit my CASH hats with 3 stripes of colour as per the picture below, and I knew that I had to create a hat with 3 colours in it again.



And from the most awful mistake of the garter stitch prototype came the most beautiful hat.

Introducing RIO....named after the city and the song....for those of you who remember Duran Duran!!







































So here in my collection of hats for the Australian Winter 2012....I'm going to be extremely busy....but I'm looking forward to immersing myself in colour.  These little hats will start to filter through to my Etsy store in the New Year...some of the hats have already started to filter through.




And if there is no post before Christmas to you all.

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
Glædelig jul
Hyvää Joulua
Joyeux Noël
Frohe Weihnachten
Selamat Hari Natal
Buon Natale
メリークリスマス
메리 크리스마스
С Рождеством
Vesel božič
¡Feliz Navidad
God Jul


Enjoy Vicki x


Baby photos courtesy of Joy Wright from Alabama US and Peta Mazey from Wellington New Zealand and Kelly David of Wasilla Alaska.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki
    I've just started following your blog ...absolutely love your work and you really have a great eye for colour combinations. I just wish I still had little people to dress...will just have to wait for grandchildren now!!
    Anne from Brissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous range! I love all the styles including the new Rio..you really do have an eye for colour :)
    Will be keeping an eye out for a hat or two for our little man this coming winter.

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, They are all read and very much appreciated. Except for spam, they're reported to blogger and google+ Vicki x